Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) today blamed rise in temperature and poor monsoon for the increased powercuts in the city today.
While the state enthusiastically waited to listen to the budget speech of Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, PSPCL imposed powercuts in between and hence a large part of the state could not watch the full speech. Interestingly, while Jaitley was talking about power projects, investment in power sector and tax holiday to companies who will invest in power projects, the power corporation preferred to impose a power cut, which was criticised widely.
Between 11 to 1 pm, power remained cut off for about an hour in Ludhiana alone and on the whole power cuts ranging from three-four hours are being imposed in the state. KD Chaudhary, CMD of PSPCL, said: “We are not getting proper supply even from the new private thermal plants of Talwandi Sabo and Rajpura. Apart from this, even hydel generation has also reduced due to which we had no option but to go for powercut.”
Meanwhile CMD said that both private plants were earlier supplying 660 MW of power, which has stopped its generation due to shortage of coal and this has reduced availability of power by 1560 MWs.
Apparently Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal had also held meetings with Ministry of Railways, who assured to get coal supply expedited for thermal plants in Punjab. Chaudhary said this may improve the situation in four-five days, when coal supplies start reaching power plants of Punjab.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review