Both state varsities, Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) and Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU) welcomed the state budget on Wednesday.
PAU has been given Rs 310 crore for 2014-15, an increase of Rs 10 crore from 2013-14 and similarly GADVASU got Rs 64 crore grant as compared to Rs 54 crore in 2013-14. However, the fisheries graduates from GADVASU continued their strike, which is on since more than a month and half, demanding jobs in fisheries department of Punjab.
GADVASU on the other hand described the budget as a ‘welcome step with more emphasis on diversification.’ However, nothing major was announced for fisheries sector in the state budget on Wednesday. Last year, a separate grant of Rs 4 crore was released for fisheries but this year no such grant has been issued. Also last year the government had announced fish farming as part of crop diversification programme, but no concrete steps were taken.
The only new announcement that has come for fisheries this year is increase in proposed area. The government planned to bring 600 acres of saline and waterlogged areas under pisciculture in state till last year which has been increased to 1,000 acres.
“Government in the budget promised a retail and wholesale fish market in Ludhiana which is a great step,” said Dr P D Juyal, registrar, GADVASU to Newsline. He added that this will also help in creating jobs for fisheries graduates.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest