Continuing with its anti-beggars movement, an initiative of deputy commissioner Rajat Aggarwal and additional deputy commissioner Isha Kalia, the team of district administration and Municipal Corporation on Saturday caught 62 beggars from different areas.
However, majority of beggars with bandages on their bodies ran away seeing teams coming to rescue them. Areas like Dandi Swami, Bharat Nagar Chowk, Mata Rani mandir chowk, Haibowal road were scanned on Saturday morning.
The drive started 15 days back when 16 beggars were caught and groomed them. While some were sent back to their native places, a woman was also given a sewing machine to start work by the administration.
On Saturday, three beggars were found begging again who were caught fifteen days back and now two of them have been referred to the police while one will be sent back home, said Kalia.
MC official accompanying the team told Newsline that most beggars did not want to go to MC night shelter at Haibowal for grooming.
“This simply shows that there is something fishy. As they saw team coming they ran away. This points towards a begging mafia running in the city. Police teams were accompanying us and woman officers caught woman beggars. Some were even carried by force,” said a MC official.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Almost 62 beggars were given a hair cut and shave at Haibowal night shelter. Some companies and NGOs were also called to offer them job. Kalia said, “Of the 62 beggars, six were drug addicts and have been sent to drug de-addiction centre. Almost 36 wants to go home and we will provide return them tickets.”
Meanwhile, a helpline number for families of drug addicts was started on Saturday. DC Aggarwal said that addicts or families can call at 0161-2724923 for asking queries from Red Cross drug de-addiction centre.