Already flouting the rules by not organising a general House meeting once every month, Ludhiana Municipal Corporation (MC) is now facing strong criticism for proposal of holding general House meet and budget meet on the same day.
As per rules, MC House should meet at least once a month to discuss problems and grievances of city residents, but Ludhiana MC holds 2-3 meets in a year only. The last House meeting was held on January 17, and that too because the projects could not have been passed to JNNURM, New Delhi, without its approval.
Now, taking cover under an excuse of the code of conduct coming into force anytime for Lok Sabha elections, the civic body is planning to hold the budget and House meeting on the same day – which councillors say is just an “eyewash” to escape their questions and problems.
Gurpreet Gogi, councillor from Congress said, “Everything is happening against the Constitution. A House meeting cannot be held properly since grievances of more than 70 councillors cannot be heard in a single day. How can a budget meeting be also held on the same day? They are just planning a formality meeting. We completely oppose this proposal.”
Similar views were expressed by Inder Aggarwal, councillor from BJP. He said, “The House meeting itself needs at least two days to be conducted. Now, how can the budget be discussed in a few hours? It is a complete mockery of the system.”
Independent councillor Daljit Grewal also shared the same views.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
When contacted, Hartej Singh, secretary to Mayor said, “It is an initial proposal that both meetings will be held on the same day, but it has not been finalised. We thought that an hour will be enough to discuss the budget. But if councillors are opposing it, we will re-think the proposal.”