Braving the winter chill, almost 96 per cent employees of the Punjab Agricultural University cast their vote at the examination hall centre of the campus. The polling was peaceful.
Gurjit Singh, presiding officer from students welfare department said, “95.69% employees voted in a peaceful environment. We had warned all four groups that if there are any violation of poll conduct, the registrar will be informed and action will be taken against violators.”
During the 2011 elections, supporters of Mango and Cycle group forcefully entered the examination hall where polling was taking place. This year, elections were held amid tight security by police and internal security of the varsity.
Security has also been beefed up due to the upcoming National Youth Festival.
Mango-cycle neck to neck
While maximum voters were seen thronging Mango and Cycle group camps, both leaders, claimed that their teams would win.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Mango group is led by PS Gill and Baldev Walia whereas cycle group is led by Harbans Mundi.
“We will win all the 15 posts. Factionalism in the Cycle group will be the reason of their failure. Votes of Cycle group will now be divided among Ladder and Letterbox groups and this will prove beneficial for us. Voters also know how much we have worked for them in the past years,” said Baldev Walia of incumbent Mango group. Walia is fighting for the president post first time in place of PS Gill.
However, Harbans Singh Mundi from Cycle group said that it is not factionalism but their work which will speak. “Ladder and Letterbox group are not the factions of cycle group. Sometime ago, leaders of Ladder and Letterbox group were supporting Mango group too. Voters know their see-saw tendency and this will benefit us. Also, the work I have done during my presidential term will fetch votes,” Mundi said.
Avtar Chand of Ladder group said, “People want change. It is always Mango vs Cycle group but this time they have a third option.”
Kewal Krishan Sachdeva, fighting independent on Letterbox symbol added that a change is in the air. “I am sure that the people do not want a president from Mango or Cycle group again.”