Chandigarh colleges may pride themselves on their standards of education, but it is Ludhiana colleges from where most toppers of Panjab University come.
Be it BSc, BA, BCA, BBA or BCom, the toppers from almost all courses in first, second and final year in annual examinations-2014 are students from a few colleges in Ludhiana. Interestingly, most of these colleges are women’s colleges.
Sri Aurobindo College of Commerce and Management, Ludhiana, leads with the toppers in first, second and third years of BBA and BCom, and Guru Nanak Khalsa College for Women, Model Town; Khalsa College for Women, Civil Lines; Government College for Girls, Ludhiana, follow in other courses.
Better-performing colleges, good quality of students, essentially local girl students who are hard working are offered as the reasons behind the phenomenon.
“In Punjab, girl students are working hard in studies and securing good marks, and so women colleges are leading,” said Varinder Kaur Thind, principal of the Khalsa College for Women, Civil Lines, adding that regular classes was another reason.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Why do colleges in Chandigarh, which are close to PU campus, lag behind? “Chandigarh gives one exposure, but it is often seen that as brilliant students migrate from other places to Chandigarh, they end up wasting time on other activities. Ludhiana has more of local students who are relatively more focussed,” said PU Senate member Dr R P S Josh from PG Government College for Girls, Sector 42.
Ludhiana, with the maximum number of PU-affiliated colleges, is believed to draw the best quality of students from Punjab, after Chandigarh, which has limited seats.
“Ludhiana is among the academically progressive districts of Punjab. The credit goes to the students, as students with high merit take admission to the government colleges of Ludhiana,” said Professor Karamjeet, a PU Senator.
However, PU Dean of College Development Council Professor Naval Kishore said, “Colleges in other districts are also good, it must be the probability factor, because Ludhiana has the maximum number of colleges, and so maximum students.”
Some would have you believe that producing toppers is not the only criterion of a college performing well. “Most students in Chandigarh colleges are more involved in building their career through competitive exams than just limiting themselves to the university exams,” said PU Senator Dr Jagwant Singh from GGDSD College, Sector 32. Besides Ludhiana, PU-affiliated colleges are spread in Fazilka, Chandigarh, Ludhiana, Ferozepur, Moga, Hoshiarpur, Muktsar Sahib and Khanna.