Infighting in SAD proved to be an advantage for Congress in Khanna during the selection of its Municipal Council president. On Tuesday, Congress’s Vikas Mehta was chosen as President of the council with 17 votes in his favour. Whereas SAD’s Sukhdev Singh could only manage nine votes.
Vijay Sharma of Congress was chosen as the vice-president with 16 votes as against BJP’s 11 votes to Jatinder Devgan. Of the 33 wards in Khanna, Congress won 15 seats while BJP won five and SAD six while seven went to independents. However, SAD was not able to decide about their Presidential candidate and there were two groups divided over names of Iqbal Singh Channi and Rajinder Singh Jeet.
- 59% turnout in Ludhiana MC polls held amid clashes
- Ludhiana Municipal Corporation poll campaign ends, ‘Bains’ factor faces litmus test in triangular contest
- Ludhiana civic polls: Migrant voters hold key to many wards, but no tickets for them from SAD-BJP
- Ludhiana civic polls: 50 per cent seats reserved for women, but male kin dominate poll show
- Ludhiana: Congress wins 3 municipal councils, 1 Nagar Panchayat
- Presidents of Jagraon, Payal MCs elected; Khanna, Samrala, Doraha yet to decide
Interestingly, Congress’s Gurminder Singh Lally along with his wife Anjanjeet Kaur and Sunil Kumar Neeta had boycotted the voting and had left the council hall, as Lally wanted to be the President.
Despite that with the support of independents and Congress MLA Gurkirat Kotli’s vote, Congress presidential candidate got 17 votes. Five other councillors chose to remain out of the voting process.
Earlier, Iqbal Singh Channi’s name was projected from SAD-BJP alliance, but another group of SAD councillors had gone to meet deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal so as to get their candidate considered.