Traffic moved at snail’s pace on Saturday as AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal visited the city. As Kejriwal’s cavalcade of hundreds of cars and motorbikes moved through congested city streets, residents had to battle long traffic jams on Ferozepur road, Jalandhar Bypass, near Dana Mandi, Jodhewal Basti, Fountain Chowk and other areas.
Apart from Kejriwal’s show, Nagar Kirtan procession to mark festival of Baisakhi was taken out which further choked traffic on route from Field Ganj to Chaura Bazaar.
At Dana Mandi, from where Kejriwal started his road show, pick pockets had a field day as many AAP supporters claimed that their wallets are missing.
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
A supporter Rakesh Karir, resident of Chander Nagar told Newsline, “I came here to get a glimpse of Kejriwal. As I approached towards his jeep, someone from behind stole my wallet. It had Rs 2,000 cash, ATM cards and other IDs.”
Another incident took place when two miscreants sporting AAP badges, scarf, caps and flags in hand tried to pick pocket another AAP supporter. However, the victim caught them red-handed.
Meanwhile, hundreds of Kejriwal supporters came out on the roads to catch his glimpse but had a harrowing day as he arrived late by an hour. Also AAP made it clear at Jalandhar bypass that they ‘have not arranged drinking water for anyone and those who are thirsty should bring their own bottles.’
While the deputy commissioner’s office permitted 11 cars for Kejriwal’s road show, hundreds of vehicles including bikes, trucks, trollies, tempos, cars etc followed him. While heavy rush was seen at Basti Jodhewal, Samrala Chowk and Jalandhar bypass for his welcome, it was comparatively less in urban and posh areas such as Sarabha Nagar, Bharat Nagar Chowk etc. Following the slap incident, Kejriwal was in full security cover despite claims of the party denying police protection.
Meanwhile, members of Action Against Corruption showed black flags to Kejriwal. Chandrakant Chaddha, from AAC said, “We were in his support earlier as he too is fighting against corruption but we are hurt by his statement that he has only resigned from the CM’s post and not eloped with someone’s daughter. We demand an apology from him and we will continue our protest.”