The trickle-down effect of heavy snowfall in upper regions of Jammu and Kashmir, Shimla and other hilly areas left the residents of Ludhiana happily surprised as the city witnessed heavy hailstorm on Saturday.
While it had been raining on and off since Friday night, hailstorm started on Saturday evening which was accompanied by sleet in some parts of the city. A white sheet of sleet piled up on vehicles, roads and trees, and there was an extreme chill in the air.
Deepak Garg, a college student, said, “I was regretting not visiting Shimla, seeing some amazing photographs of snowfall there. But today it was all covered. We made the most of this short white spell here and thronged the college campus.”
Rushank Goyal, a student, added, “It was an eye candy to see our city clad in white. It is not something that happens as a routine. Roads and cars were all covered in heavy hailstorm.”
Children were seen gathering in parks trying to collect hail in hands to make snowballs. However, the unpredictable weather was not a good sign for farmers in villages with wheat crop in fields. K K Gill, assistant meteorologist, Punjab Agricultural University, told Newsline, “We have to do a survey on how much this weather has damaged the crop. But since wheat crop has still not reached a matured stage, we are expecting very few cases of damage.”
She said that hail was an effect of weather in Shimla and J&K which received a fresh spell of snow on Friday. “The weather will clear by Sunday morning and bright sunny days are predicted ahead. Also, there is no major effect on temperature as maximum continues to be around 15-16 degree Celsius and minimum 6-7 degree Celsius which is normal for February,” she added.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016