Two major fire incidents in the city on Sunday kept the fire department on its toes.
In the first incident, fire broke out at Silver Arc Mall on Ferozepur road. The fire department got a call around 9.20 am. Reportedly, the flames came out from ‘Guess’ showroom on the ground floor and soon the security department of the mall got to know of it.
While four fire tenders were rushed to the spot, it took almost an hour to control the fire. It was due to timely action taken by the mall security employees that fire was confined to the showroom.
Talking to Newsline, assistant divisional fire officer Bhupinder Singh said, “The mall had all adequate and latest fire safety equipment and permissions. However, since the fire broke out in the storeroom of the showroom where woollens were stored, the smoke reached the smoke detectors installed in the ceiling late. But the sprinklers were turned on immediately by mall employees which reduced the loss.”
A cosmetic store and Easyday store in the mall also suffered some losses because of the water that entered their stores during the rescue operation.
In the second incident, around 1.30 pm, fire broke out in the computer lab of Arya College, Civil Lines. More than 25 computers of the college were gutted by the fire but a major tragedy was averted as the students were out of the room due to lunch-break. Few teachers were inside who rushed out immediately.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“Students were out after taking an exam. Another exam was scheduled after the lunch-break,” said a college teacher.
Principal R C Tejpal told Newsline, “We are yet to estimate the exact loss and the reason for fire but thankfully all students are safe.”
Two fire tenders controlled the flames in half an hour on the college campus. Short circuit is believed to be the reason behind both the fire incidents.