A major fire broke out at the congested cloth market of Akalgarh, Chaura Bazaar in Old City, on Sunday.
Short circuit is suspected to be the reason as open and entangled wires keep hanging at the market.
Destroying goods worth lakhs, the fire exposed the power and fire brigade departments of Ludhiana when there was no driver to ferry more fire tenders available with the department. The shopkeepers rushed the same driver again on their scooter to come back with another fire tender as the fire continued to spread.
“It was second incident in two months and fourth incident in the past few years. Bunches of wire hang in the open on our heads and anything can happen anytime. Multiple complaints have been made to PSPCL.
Today fire brigade showed how inefficient it is as they had no driver to get more fire tending vehicles. We rushed driver on our scooter as fire continued to spread,” said Gurdeep Singh Gosha, from Chaura Bazaar Market Association.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Gosha is also a senior leader of the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal.
As the market is so congested, it took more than half an hour for fire tenders to reach the spot. Fire broke out at Sunder Kala Cloth store which is a triple-storey building.
Gurmail Singh, a fire official, said, “We got a call at 2.10 pm, and we sent a 15-member team with six fire tenders which took around two and a half hours to douse the fire.”
However, shopkeepers claimed that more than 100 people from around the market helped the fire personnel and only then could the fire be controlled.
Singh said that the preliminary investigation revealed that the reason behind this fire incident was short circuit. The exact damage was yet to be known.
The shopkeepers plan to protest against PSPCL at Chaura Bazaar on Monday for not removing the naked wires hanging at the market. “Luckily, no one died but anything could have happened. A protest will be held tomorrow,” said Gosha.