While the Pashu Palan mela of Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU) concluded on Saturday, it were the various products made from emu leather that stole the show during the two-day event. The varsity’s department of livestock products technology has developed premium, soft and durable leather from emu skin to make it usable. Using the emu leather, juttis for women, handbags, wallets were made.
Talking to Newsline, Manish Chaitley, head of the department said, “Till now major problem that farmers faced was that skin of emu was of no use. Now with various refining procedures, we have developed soft, thin leather from emu skin which can be used for making various products. Farmers can sell these wallets, shoes at Rs 700 to 1,000 each as they are completely new in market.”
He added that emu oil which was very dark in colour and smelly earlier has now been refined making it odour-free and white in colour. “We are trying to solve the problems of them farmers related to emu farming. Storage life of oil has also been extended by one year,” he said, addin, it’s tough and hard meat is also being processed.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Meanwhile, going by its theme of healthy food, GADVASU also got excellent response for its meat patties, chicken momos, meat wadi, low cholestrol meat samosa and other low calorie snacks.