While the Pashu Palan mela of Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU) concluded on Saturday, it were the various products made from emu leather that stole the show during the two-day event. The varsity’s department of livestock products technology has developed premium, soft and durable leather from emu skin to make it usable. Using the emu leather, juttis for women, handbags, wallets were made.
Talking to Newsline, Manish Chaitley, head of the department said, “Till now major problem that farmers faced was that skin of emu was of no use. Now with various refining procedures, we have developed soft, thin leather from emu skin which can be used for making various products. Farmers can sell these wallets, shoes at Rs 700 to 1,000 each as they are completely new in market.”
He added that emu oil which was very dark in colour and smelly earlier has now been refined making it odour-free and white in colour. “We are trying to solve the problems of them farmers related to emu farming. Storage life of oil has also been extended by one year,” he said, addin, it’s tough and hard meat is also being processed.
Meanwhile, going by its theme of healthy food, GADVASU also got excellent response for its meat patties, chicken momos, meat wadi, low cholestrol meat samosa and other low calorie snacks.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest