A 70-year-old senior Congress leader and his wife were murdered in Jagraon on Wednesday night.
Suresh Goyal, 70, was former president of Jagraon Nagar Council and chairman of Jagraon Market Committee. During the attack, he and his wife Shimla Devi, 67, were murdered while his granddaughter Shagun, 18, was injured.
The couple was stabbed to death by unidentified accused with sharp-edged weapons. Devi who got injured in the head after the attack succumbed to injuries. Shagun suffered injuries to her arms and face, and she was rushed to hospital. She came from Panchkula to meet her grandparents.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
After the incident, Senior Superintendent of Police (Rural) Ashish Chaudhary and Deputy Superintendent of Police Surinder Kumar along with the police team reached the spot and initiated investigation in the case.
The couple had three sons but all of them had died in the past years. His one son was killed by militants and then his daughter-in-law Urvashi Goyal was given a government job; she is serving as an Excise and Taxation Officer in Ludhiana. The lives of the remaining two sons were claimed by an accident and illness respectively.
Shagun, in her statement to the police, said that the attack took place between 11 and 12 midnight when a man with a covered face barged into their home and attacked her grandparents.
When she heard the screams of her grandparents, she rushed to their room but till then the couple was murdered.
The accused then attacked Shagun but she defended herself. Then the accused ran away from the spot.
After hearing cries of Shagun, neighbours came and rushed the victims to Civil Hospital and called the police. A case has been registered against unidentified accused at Jagraon City police station under Section 302 of the IPC.