The Congress on Thursday started its campaign in Atam Nagar constituency, an area considered to be a stronghold of Independent candidate Simarjit Singh Bains.
In the 2012 Assembly polls, Bains had defeated SAD leader Hira Singh Gabaria from Atam Nagar. He also left the Shiromani Akali Dal after the party denied him ticket from Atam Nagar and decided to contest as an Independent.
Gurkirat Singh Kotli, brother of Congress candidate Ravneet Singh Bittu, started door-to-door campaigning in Atam Nagar and claimed that “it is not Bains’s den”. Bains, on his part, claims to be the “lion of Atam Nagar”.
Talking to Newsline, Kotli claimed, “Today we listened to the people of Atam Nagar. They said that now they will never trust an Independent candidate who like a coward moved back to SAD after taking votes and winning the seat.”
Kotli added that “people running small-scale industries in Atam Nagar are a harried lot as Bains in two years since becoming MLA did nothing for them”.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Terming Bains a “selfish person with see-saw like mentality”, Kotli said, “He became MLA because people trusted him as they were tired of Akali-BJP rule but after taking votes, he went back to support Akali Dal, forgetting the will of the people. He simply ditched people of his constituency.”
Kotli said that “he (Bains) was elected as MLA, but is not fit for a post like MP”. “People of Atam Nagar are not even taking him seriously as MP candidate, forget his chances of winning,” he added.
Six Congress leaders join SAD
It was another blow for the Congress on Thursday as its senior leader Jagjiwanpal Singh Gill along with five other leaders quit the party and joined the Shiromani Akali Dal. Gill said the Congress was constantly ignoring the hard working and honest workers. “CM Badal is doing a good job and thus I have taken this decision,” he told the media.