In the fray from Ludhiana are now also Simerjit Singh and Bittu Birla who filed their nomination as Independent candidates on Wednesday.
Interestingly, Harkamal Singh, the lawyer of SAD candidate Manpreet Singh Ayali, accompanied Simerjit Singh to the Deputy Commissioner’s office for filing nomination papers.
Harkamal had also accompanied Ayali on Monday to file his papers. However, talking to Newsline, Simerjit, 28 and a resident of Lohara, said, “I am fighting these polls to work against the hooliganism and anti-people policies of Akali Dal in Punjab.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
He shares his name with Independent candidate Simarjit Singh Bains, a staunch rival of Akali Dal, and has applied for ‘bat’ and ‘ball’ as preferred symbols.
The namesake of Congress candidate Ravneet Singh Bittu also filed nomination as Independent on Wednesday. Bittu Birla, 41, however, clarified that he did not file nomination from his party Republican Party of India (A) as it is not known in Punjab. “I want to work for the poor and underprivileged sections of society. Therefore, I am contesting the polls,” he said. He has applied for a sewing machine as his symbol.
Meanwhile, high drama was witnessed at the DC office on Wednesday after a woman, Premjit Kaur, claimed herself to be a candidate from Akali Dal. She reached the DC office and claimed that Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had given her the ticket from Ludhiana and not to Ayali.
Later, she filed her candidature from Shiromani Akali Dal but failed to mention any details of assets. When Deputy Commissioner Rajat Aggarwal asked Kaur for candidature fee, she said, “CM Badal will come tomorrow and submit my fee as I have no money at present.” She added that “being the only woman candidate from Ludhiana, she will surely win polls from SAD”.