After the death of four patients and 121 people being hospitalised since Wednesday evening, the municipal corporation swung into action to check the faulty water connections in Parkash Nagar area in ward number 59.
They even disconnected 14 water connections which were illegal as their pipes were passing over sewer man holes or even were of poor quality.
Residents told The Indian Express that heaps of garbage were cleared through JCB machines overnight and the work continued till Wednesday morning. The deceased were identified as: Sonu(42), his eight-year-old son and three-year-old Amit Kumar — all from Parkash Nagar, and Ranjit Singh from Jawaddi village located nearby.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Patients were being treated in an under construction community hall which was not even clean and foul smell was coming from outside.
Locals have been complaining about the foul stench emanating from the water for more than a month and the situation had worsened in the last one week. But the authorities woke up only when contaminated water had spread not only in Parkash Nagar, but even in Jawaddi village, Punjabi Bagh, chotti jawaddi ( located in ward number 60) and even few other areas.
One private dairy was operating in Parkash Nagar and its water connection was disconnected on Thursday, though residents had complained a number of times about its unhygenic conditions.
” My mother was given 2 units of IV fliud yesterday and today again she has been brought here as her condition has not improved. Discoloured water was coming from the taps for more than a week. But who cares for us,” said Ranjit Lal, whose mother Sangori Devi was brought at the medical camp site in a 108 ambulance.
Savita Kalra, one of the resident of the area said,” it is a perennial problem of this area. The old tubewell is dysfunctional while the new tubewell has yet not been operational, so water supply was coming from other tubewells through interconnection of tubewells and that was foul smelling. And we are surprised as overnight equipment to bore the new tubewell has been brought.”