The local unit of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) started a campaign against pollution of water bodies at the Gill Bridge on Sunday.
The party volunteers assisted in the cleaning of Sidhwan Canal and appealed to the people to help reduce water pollution.
- Delhi govt to take development to every house, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Yamuna reduced to sewer line in Delhi: NGT
- Identify and address sources of pollution in Yamuna: NGT
- Ludhiana Municipal Corporation poll campaign ends, ‘Bains’ factor faces litmus test in triangular contest
- Narmada water: Despair and defiance along the canal
- 15 days, 70 teams: Delhi and Centre tie up for cleaner air
According to Colonel (retd) C M Lakhanpal, the coordinator for this project, “We are planning to take this campaign to Buddha Nullah as well as Satluj river so that the water bodies in this region can be saved from the monstrous pollution they are suffering, which is also the main cause for the rise of cancer in this region. The entire water system is so polluted that almost all aquatic life has vanished. The Buddha Dariya is now the ‘Sorrow of Ludhiana’. It is high time that the government and administration take immediate and concrete steps to address this issue.”
AAP also held membership camps at different places in the city on Sunday. Early morning, a membership drive was held at Rakh Bagh and then at Samrala Chowk, Shimlapuri and Gill Road.