5 of family die of asphyxia in Haibowal

Five members of a migrant family,including four children,suffocated to death in a rented one-room tenement in Chhoti Haibowal area on Friday.

Written by Express News Service | Ludhiana | Published:January 10, 2009 2:00 am

The migrant family had kept a coal angithi burning to keep warm as they slept,say police

Five members of a migrant family,including four children,suffocated to death in a rented one-room tenement in Chhoti Haibowal area on Friday. The family had slept while keeping a coal angithi (stove) burning to keep warm during the night,which caused the room to fill up with carbon monoxide. Only one member of the family survived the incident.

The deceased were identified as Ranjit Kumar Singh (35),a migrant from Darbangha district of Bihar,his daughters Phulla (14),Chanda (11),sons Munna (7) and Chhotu (5). Ranjit’s wife Mala survived and is admitted in Dayanand Medical College and Hospital. Doctors stated that she was out of danger.

The incident came to light about 11 am on Friday when some neighbours spotted Mala vomiting outside the room. She fainted later and was rushed to DMC hospital. When the neighbours entered the room,they discovered that Ranjit and the children were already dead and informed the police.

Deputy Superintendent of Police Sandeep Sharma told Newsline that Ranjit was a street vendor. “The room did not have proper ventilation. Also,the only window had been closed by pasting newspapers to keep the room warm,” he said.

The bodies of the deceased have been sent to the Civil Hospital for post mortem. The police have initiated inquest proceedings under Section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results