3 children killed as jhuggi catches fire

Three siblings were burnt to death after their jhuggi caught fire due to candle flames on Sunday early morning.

Written by Goyal Divya | Bhattiyan (ludhiana) | Published: April 1, 2013 12:04:45 am

Three siblings were burnt to death after their jhuggi caught fire due to candle flames on Sunday early morning.

The incident occurred in Gagandeep Colony of Bhattiyan village where two of the three children died on the spot while the third was rushed to PGIMER,Chandigarh,where she breathed her last.

Kamal with his wife Seema and four children — Payal,Sonia,Sonu and Kamna — was sleeping in his jhuggi in the slum area when the fire broke out. While Kamna,1,and her brother Sonu,5,were burnt alive,their sister Payal,2,was taken to PGIMER but could not be saved.

The eldest sister Sonia,7,and her mother Seema were rescued by Kamal and were admitted to Civil Hospital,Ludhiana. Both suffered burn injuries. The parents were discharged from the hospital after minor treatment while Payal was still admitted.

The incident occurred around 2 am when Kamal,a scavenger,was sleeping in his jhuggi located at the periphery of the village. They had a candle lit as there was no power connection.

Around 2 am,the candle fell on the ground and rolled towards the walls of the jhuggi,leading to the inferno as the flames engulfed the whole jhuggi in a matter of seconds.

Kamal,who woke up when the burning roof fell down on him,said,“The flames engulfed the whole jhuggi and household things. As I realised my whole family has been trapped in the fire,I started removing boxes and rescued my wife,daughter Sonia and Payal.”

Not able to hold back his tears,he said,“Kamna and Sonu were out of my reach and were burnt alive in inferno.”

Villagers thronged to the spot and tried to save children,throwing buckets of water,but were unsuccessful.

The mother of children was not in a condition to talk.

Rs 3 lakh compensation

Executive Magistrate Arvinder Pal Singh,who visited the spot,said the Punjab government had announced Rs 3 lakh as compensation for the family and free treatment for the injured. He added that according to the preliminary investigation,the fire broke out due to a candle only.

Sub-Inspector Gurpreet Singh,Ladhowal SHO,said Payal suffered 95 per cent burn injuries and was rushed to Civil Hospital in 108 ambulance.

Even police officials and villagers contributed Rs 8,600 and Rs 10,000 respectively and gave it to the aggrieved family.

For all the latest Ludhiana News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adda
Advertisement
Advertisement