Following death of a daily wager Israifal the family protested near Jawaddi bridge. The traffic was stalled for more than five hours.
The police had to resort to minor lathicharge and protestors alleged that cops attacked them to suppress their voice.
Ijaj Ahmad (30) of Jawaddi along with his brother-in-law Israifal (22) were going to work on their bicycle. As they reached near Jawaddi Bridge a truck loaded with gravel hit the cycle. Israilfal was crushed under the truck, while Ijaj Ahmad suffered severe injuries.
- Mumbai: Four held for ‘knocking down’ man, dumping him on footpath
- Jharkhand: 13 dead, including four children in road mishap
- Maharashtra bandh highlights: Dalit groups call off bandh, govt to probe incidents of violence
- Mohali: 2 killed in separate road accidents
- Moga: Four dead, 17 injured in accident
- Migrants block traffic after mini-truck runs over youth
Driver of the truck tried to flee from the spot, but the people nabbed him and informed the police.
The people said that the police took more than one hour to reach at the spot. The people started raising slogans against the police and protested with the dead body kept on road. A mini-truck parked nearby was also vandalized.
Three hours later, Additional Deputy commissioner of Police (ADCP city-3) Paramjit Singh Pannu, ACP Gurneet Singh and ACP Rachhpal Singh reached at spot and tried to pacify the protestors.
Protestors alleged that ASI Mohan Lal started lathicharge on them. The mob ran after ASI to beat him up. The police force saved the ASI.
The police registered FIR of reckless driving and causing death due to negligence against the truck driver.
There was also mild stone pelting by people on cops and two cops including a woman constable suffered minor injuries.