A 26-year-old woman allegedly immolated herself after setting her two minor children at her house following an argument with her husband at Dulaur village in Sahatwar area of Ballia district Wednesday, police said.
The incident took place in the morning when 26-year-old Anita Pandey poured kerosene on herself and her children Aarav (4) and Trisha (2) after bolting her room from inside.
The woman first set the children on fire before immolating herself, the station house officer (SHO) of Sahatwar police station, Kunwar Kanchan Singh, said.
- Woman, 5-year-old daughter killed in fire in Airoli
- Mother, daughter burnt to death in Amritsar
- Uttar Pradesh: BJP, cops spar over man’s arrest in extortion case
- UP: ‘Molested’ teen hangs self after returning from medical check-up
- Bihar: Woman kills self, 2 children after hubby remarries
- Woman sets her two kids on fire,kills self in Rajasthan
Anita’s husband Brijesh Pandey, who was sitting outside the house saw smoke emanating out and raised alarm, the SHO said. Brijesh and some neighbours broke open the door and doused the flames but the children had died by then. The woman was rushed to the hospital where she too died during treatment after an hour, the SHO said.
Anita’s dying declaration has been recorded by the magistrate and next course of action would be decided on the basis of her statement, the SHO said, adding no one has lodged any complaint into the incident.
He said during preliminary inquiry it has come to fore that the family was facing financial crisis. Brijesh had quit his job and had been unemployed for some time. Locals told the police the couple often used to quarrel and heated arguments had taken place between them on Tuesday night too.