A woman delivered a stillborn baby on Monday after being turned away from Jaunpur District Women’s Hospital two days ago, as she had not deposited money for her operation. The incident was reported from Bakhsha area of the district.
While Jaunpur District Magistrate (DM) Bhanuchandra Goswami has ordered a probe into the incident, Chief Medical Officer (Jaunpur) Dr D K Yadav visited the woman and recorded her statement.
According to the complaint lodged with the CMO, Usha Devi — the wife of Arjun Kumar, a daily wage labourer of Hilali village in Bakhsha — was in advanced stage of pregnancy.
- Hospital hands over ‘dead’ twins in a packet, one turns out to be alive
- Pregnant woman dies after ‘unqualified’ owner performs operation
- Woman delivers in Ola cab enroute to hospital, gets free rides for 5 years
- Stillborn by roadside: Family has ‘no confidence’ in CMO probe, magisterial inquiry ordered
- Minors body dumped by hospital staff after failed operation,allege parents
- Hospital shuts door on pregnant HIV+ woman
On Saturday, Arjun had taken his wife to the community health centre at Badlapur after she complained of pain. From there, Usha Devi was referred to the district women’s hospital. There, a woman doctor attending on her allegedly told her she needed to be operated upon. A doctor too reportedly asked her to deposit the money — reportedly over Rs 10,000.
When Arjun expressed his inability to garner the amount, the doctor allegedly refused to go ahead with the operation. Arjun took his wife back home.
On Monday, Usha Devi again experienced pain. While Arjun was taking her to the primary health centre (PHC) in Bakhsha, she gave birth to a stillborn baby on road at Lakhipur village.
As news spread, the DM directed the CMO to visit the woman and probe the matter. “We are trying to get the woman to identify the medical staff,” Goswami said. “All claims made in her statement was being verified. This also included an alleged demand of Rs 300 by the ambulance driver from the 108 ambulance service, who took her to the hospital.”