Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi Wednesday said his party will play the role of a powerful Opposition and not shy away from fighting for people whose voice is not heard.
He visited his constituency Amethi along with sister Priyanka for the first time after Lok Sabha elections in which the Congress lost power. In Uttar Pradesh, the party retained only Amethi and Rae Bareli. Party workers said Rahul asked them to get ready for a struggle and assured them he would stand by people.
Accompanied by sister Priyanka Gandhi, he told party workers: “Main janata ke liye ladunga…Hum sashakta vipaksh ki bhumika nibhayenge.. Jahan janata ki nahi suni gayi, toh aag laga denge. (I will fight for the public… We will play the role of a strong Opposition… If people are not heard, we will protest strongly). “
They thanked workers for electing Congress in Amethi and Rae Bareli.
Rahul said: “Irrespective of the results in Uttar Pradesh, we are thankful that people of Amethi and Rae Bareli stood by us. We would also stand by them in all their needs.”
Workers said they wanted to discuss the poll results and the decreased victory margin, Priyanka, who had campaigned for Rahul, told workers she would return in a week to review poll results.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
They visited Baraulia village of Gauriganj, where 65 huts were burnt in a fire on May 19. Rahul and Priyanka distributed clothes, utensils, food items (like 10 kg atta), soaps, etc. from a tent built by the Congress workers.
On the other hand, local SP MLA Rakesh Singh distributed “relief cheques” on behalf of the state government in a tent erected by the district administration close to the Congress’s tent. The cheques were of Rs 20,300 for completely burnt huts, Rs 8,800 for partially burnt houses and Rs 6000 for lesser damages.
“It is good that they (Congress) have distributed relief materials. But they should not have done politics over it and should have rather distributed relief materials from the tent established by the district administration. Almost an hour after they left, their tent has been dismantled,” Rakesh Singh told The Indian Express.
Meanwhile, Rahul and Priyanka, along with their team, visited burnt huts. “Rahul ji yahan aa kar dekhiye,” said a 60- year-old Raj Kali and took Rahul to her hut. “My son’s marriage is on June 20 and his ‘tilak’ was scheduled for June 11. Who will give his daughter to a homeless now,” said Rajkali in tears. Her son, Rakesh, who is to be married, said, “While Congress leaders have given us clothes and the state government a Rs 20,300 cheque, nothing can be done with this amount.”
Priyanka assured the villagers that she would try and get their houses built under the Indira Awas Yojana.