The Prosecution Directorate of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday felicitated as many as 26 witnesses whose testimonies helped in conviction of the accused persons with more than 10 year’s imprisonment in cases of murder, rape and other heinous offences.
Speaking at the function organised at Lucknow Press Club, Director General of Prosecution, Surya Kumar said the felicitation of these witnesses from Lucknow district was a way of acknowledging their contribution in the deliverance of justice for the victims.
- Man convicted in 2009 rape of MBA student
- 2009 Noida gangrape: Juvenile convicted, sent to three years in reform home
- From Jessica Lal’s case to Sohrabuddin Sheikh’s, why witness protection in India remains vexed
- Sohrabuddin case: All accused should be present in court from today, says CBI judge
- Yogi govt issues order to scrap case against Yogi Adityanath
- Prosecution dept’s ‘success rate’ : 8,773 convictions in four months — death to eight, life term for 977
“Prosecution officers often complain that witnesses turn hostile in their cases, leading to the acquittal of the accused persons. But there are also witnesses who speak the truth despite facing threats and pressure and they should be felicitated so that people are encouraged to tell the truth about the crimes,” he said.
Kumar said he has asked all the prosecution officers to recognise the witnesses in the cases of heinous crimes in which accused persons were given the punishment of over 10 year’s imprisonment, so they could be felicitated.
He said the prosecution officers, government lawyers, court moharrir and pairokar in similar cases will also be felicitated.