Upset over alleged harassment by an upper caste boy, a 16-year-old Dalit girl committed suicide by immolating herself in her house under Baradari police station area of Bareilly district early Wednesday morning.
The class X student, had allegedly taken the extreme step following continuous harassment by one Ankit Singh (18), who lives in the same locality and belongs to the Thakur community, according to the complaint filed by the victim’s father.
Watch What Else Is Making News
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
According to the father, Ankit had allegedly been harassing the girl for months. He had been coercing the girl to marry him, and allegedly threatened to share morphed pictures of her on Facebook when she refused his proposals.
The family had informed the police Wednesday morning that the girl doused herself with kerosene and set herself on fire when other family members were asleep, according to SHO Baradari police station, Kamrool Hassan.
“We have lodged an FIR against Ankit Singh under IPC Sections 306 (abetment of suicide), 354A (sexual harassment), 386 (extortion), 306 (abetment of suicide), Section 8 of Protection Of Children against Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act and sections of the SC/ ST Act,” the SHO said.
The accused, who was absconding, was arrested late evening and told the police that he was in a relationship with the girl, which he had to break due to family pressure. He also claimed that he never harassed the victim.
However, the girl in her dying declaration said that she took the extreme step after the boy threatened to make inappropriate pictures of her public by uploading them on Facebook, and also threatened to kill her family if she didn’t comply with his demands.
According to the SHO, the inquiry so far revealed that the boy and girl had a love affair which was not accepted by both families, following which the girl committed suicide. The girl’s father, however, rubbished the SHO’s claim.