FIVE PERSONS were on Thursday arrested for the murder of a journalist in Gosainganj area of Sultanpur last Saturday.
The murder was planned by a local businessman, whose illegal soil mining business was affected because of Karun Mishra’s (28) reports, police said.
Mishra, a reporter with a local Hindi daily, was shot by three motorcycle-borne men who stopped his car while he was on way to Ambedkar Nagar. He had died at the hospital during treatment.
- Ludhiana: Inspector sacked for failing to crack down on illegal mining
- Suspect recreates recce near Gauri Lankesh home before murder
- Gauri Lankesh murder: Hindu outfit man held, police uncover ‘second plot’
- UP: Three arrested for ‘shooting at medical officer’ during robbery bid
- Man, aides held for murder bid on his wife
- Three arrested for killing journalist – RSS worker in UP
On Thursday, Sandeep Singh, Rahul Singh, Pawan Singh, Ajay Singh and Haider Abbas alias Gabbar were arrested for his murder. Police claimed to have recovered a .9 mm pistol that was used to kill Mishra, two countrymade pistols, live cartridges and Rs 20,000 cash.
Circle Officer of Jaisinghpur area, Gurmeet Singh, said Rahul Singh had been involved in illegal mining of soil in Kurwar.
“His business was affected due to Mishra’s interventions. Rahul, along with his friend Sandeep, who has a criminal record, and Haider and Pawan, planned to kill Mishra by hiring three persons for Rs 1.20 lakh,” he added.
“One of the accused, among the three motorcycle-borne persons who shot Mishra, is Ajay Singh.
Two others — Aman and Mama — are still absconding,” said the officer.