Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014

UP govt promises fast-track court, another accused held

Budaun rape Villagers at the site where the two girls were hanged, in Budaun district. (Reuters photo)
Press Trust of India | Budaun/azamgarh | Posted: May 31, 2014 12:27 am | Updated: May 31, 2014 12:29 am

Amid outrage over the gangrape and murder of two cousins in Budaun district, two constables have been sacked and another accused has been arrested on Friday. The UP government, meanwhile, has promised to set up a fast-track court to look into the case and ensure that the offenders are punished soon.

The incident took place on Tuesday, when the cousins, aged 14 and 15, were allegedly dragged away from a field where they had gone to relieve themselves and gangraped. Their bodies were found hanging from a tree in the Ushait area the next morning.

In Delhi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh was briefed by officials on the incident. Sources said he was informed that the UP government had sent its report to the Home Ministry, which said that some people involved have been arrested and that all those guilty would be punished.

Superintendent of Police Atul Kumar Saxena said two constables, Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav, were sacked, while “one more accused, Awadhesh Yadav, has been arrested”. Of the seven accused in the case, three (constable Sarvesh Yadav and two brothers Pappu and Awadhesh Yadav) have been arrested so far, he said. The other accused. Urvesh Yadav, (Pappu and Awadhesh’s brother), constable Chhatrapal Yadav and two unidentified people are still at large.

Sarvesh and Chhatrpal have been booked under Section 120B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC, while the three brothers and two others have been booked under Section 302 (murder) and 376 (rape) of the IPC.

Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Friday termed the incident as “unfortunate” and ordered the police to arrest all the accused immediately. He also called for constitution of a fast-track court for the case and sanctioned Rs 5 lakh each to the families of the victims.

Blaming police laxity for the crime, Union Women and Child Welfare Minister Maneka Gandhi said a “rape crisis cell” will be constituted for speedy action in such incidents. She said she would recommend a CBI probe into the incident if the families of the two girls agree.

“Police laxity is equally responsible for the incident. Police is still not acting in the right direction. All policemen involved in the incident should be terminated,” she said.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping

Most Popular