Union Urban Development (UD) Secretary Sudhir Krishna Friday held a meeting on development issues in Varanasi, the Prime Minister’s constituency.
While Krishna’s meeting was drawing to an end, UP PWD Minister Shivpal Yadav held a meeting with officials at the Circuit House. Yadav’s programme is learnt to have been finalised late last night .
Issues like feasibility of monorail or metro rail in the city, completion of sewerage-related projects and cleaning of Ganga river were discussed in the UD Secretary’s meeting with officials from the Local Bodies Department of the Urban Development Ministry. The District Magistrate and officials of Varanasi Development Authority and Municipal Corporation of Varanasi also attended the meeting.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Speaking to the mediapersons after the meeting, Krishna stressed on the need to adopt a “one-umbrella approach” and better coordination among the agencies concerned.
Krishna pointed out that the state government will have to be fast in sending proposals and, without its initiative, the Ministry would not be able to do much in developing the city.
He also talked about the need of using advanced technology to deal with solid waste disposal, besides recycling of waste water that would help in preventing river pollution.
Talking to The Indian Express over the phone, Varanasi Mayor Ram Gopal Mohale said: “I raised the issue of lack of coordination among various agencies. A lot of work is being done by different agencies but there is no integrated approach. It was in this regard that the UD secretary talked about ‘one umbrella approach’.”
On the issue of metro or monorail, Mohale said it was agreed that there was little point in going ahead with any project unless its details are planned to the last point.
The Mayor added the issue of state government’s lackadaisical attitude in sending proposals and completing projects in a time-bound manner was also discussed.
Mohale had earlier paid a visit to the Urban Development ministry in Delhi and presented a status report on various projects in the city.
Krishna is on a two-day tour of Varanasi. He is scheduled to visit a sewerage treatment plant at Binapur and a solid waste management disposal site at Karshana Saturday.