Union Urban Development (UD) Secretary Sudhir Krishna Friday held a meeting on development issues in Varanasi, the Prime Minister’s constituency.
While Krishna’s meeting was drawing to an end, UP PWD Minister Shivpal Yadav held a meeting with officials at the Circuit House. Yadav’s programme is learnt to have been finalised late last night .
Issues like feasibility of monorail or metro rail in the city, completion of sewerage-related projects and cleaning of Ganga river were discussed in the UD Secretary’s meeting with officials from the Local Bodies Department of the Urban Development Ministry. The District Magistrate and officials of Varanasi Development Authority and Municipal Corporation of Varanasi also attended the meeting.
Speaking to the mediapersons after the meeting, Krishna stressed on the need to adopt a “one-umbrella approach” and better coordination among the agencies concerned.
Krishna pointed out that the state government will have to be fast in sending proposals and, without its initiative, the Ministry would not be able to do much in developing the city.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He also talked about the need of using advanced technology to deal with solid waste disposal, besides recycling of waste water that would help in preventing river pollution.
Talking to The Indian Express over the phone, Varanasi Mayor Ram Gopal Mohale said: “I raised the issue of lack of coordination among various agencies. A lot of work is being done by different agencies but there is no integrated approach. It was in this regard that the UD secretary talked about ‘one umbrella approach’.”
On the issue of metro or monorail, Mohale said it was agreed that there was little point in going ahead with any project unless its details are planned to the last point.
The Mayor added the issue of state government’s lackadaisical attitude in sending proposals and completing projects in a time-bound manner was also discussed.
Mohale had earlier paid a visit to the Urban Development ministry in Delhi and presented a status report on various projects in the city.
Krishna is on a two-day tour of Varanasi. He is scheduled to visit a sewerage treatment plant at Binapur and a solid waste management disposal site at Karshana Saturday.