- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
SP will be largest party in UP: Mulayam
Mulayam Singh Yadav exuded confidence on the Third Front forming the government at the Centre and said SP will emerge as the single largest party in Uttar Pradesh. He added that the parties, which have not come forth so far will join hands after the election results are declared.
On Narendra Modi deciding to contest from Varanasi, the SP chief said the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate will have to return to Gujarat in the middle of elections. “He (Modi) will have to return to Gujarat in the middle of the elections,” Yadav told media during the 104th birth anniversary celebration of Ram Manohar Lohia at Lohia Park, Lucknow Sunday. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was also present.
Asked about his decision to contest from Azamgarh, Yadav said he was only complying with the wishes of the party. Earlier this week, the SP supremo had decided to contest the parliamentary polls from Azamgarh, apart from his traditional constituency of Mainpuri.