- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
SP pits Abu Azmi’s son against Priya Dutt, Poonam Mahajan
Samajwadi Party (SP) has fielded Abu Farhan Azmi, the son of Maharashtra MLA Abu Asim Azmi against sitting MP and Congress candidate Priya Dutt from Mumbai’s North Central Lok Sabha seat.
BJP has fielded late Pramod Mahajan’s daughter Poonam Mahajan from the seat.
SP has declared 22 candidates from Maharashtra including controversial film actor Kamal R Khan from Mumbai’s North West Lok Sabha seat.
Farhan Azmi claimed that he had conducted a survey, which favoured his candidature against Priya Dutt, the daughter of late Sunil Dutt. “Priya Dutt’s graph is going down. She did not stand up when MNS workers thrashed north Indians in her constituency. I am in fray to win the seat,” Farhan told The Indian Express.
SP derives its support from north Indians and Muslims in Mumbai.
He also claimed that SP has base in North Central constituency with four Nagar Sewaks. “In two Assembly segments we got respectable votes,” he added. Farhan also claimed that his business establishments —- shoe store and restaurant —- are in same constituency and thus he cannot be termed an outsider.
Farhan is married to film actress Ayesha Takia.