BY: FAISAL FAREED
On the day Saharanpur Congress candidate Imran Masood was arrested and sent to judicial custody for an alleged hate speech against BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, police registered a case against Nahid Hasan, Samajwadi Party candidate from Kairana, for alleged derogatory remarks about Modi and BSP chief Mayawati. It is alleged that Nahid made the remarks at a function to mark the opening of his election office in Shamli City Friday night.
Nahid was quoted as telling SP workers: “Mayawati sat in the lap of Modi thrice, both are unmarried. Mayawati was defeated by my grandfather and even faced my father once. Now if she faces me, you will see.”
He also referred to a “mad elephant” and how it would not be allowed to enter Shamli and Kairana — the elephant is the BSP poll symbol. After clippings of his speech, videographed by the electronic media, were aired, the administration moved to take steps.
The police were directed to lodge a case at the Shamli City Kotwali police station Saturday.“We have registered a case against Nahid Hasan for violation of the model code of conduct and for using unparliamentary language. The incident was reported by a sub-inspector deployed in Shamli town. No arrest has been made so far,” Anand Singh Yadav, SHO, Shamli Kotwali, said.Incidentally, Nahid Hasan’s mother Tabassum Hasan was a BSP MP and joined the SP only after the announcement of the polls. Nahid too was given a BSP ticket for the Gangoh Assembly seat in Saharanpur in 2012.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
But the ticket was withdrawn by the BSP after Nahid’s name came up in a sting operation.
Nahid contested the Assembly polls and stood fourth, polling over 33,000 votes.