The Budget session of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly got off to a stormy start Thursday as an united Opposition cornered the Akhilesh Yadav government over the deteriorating law and order situation in the state and raised anti-government slogans, leading to adjournment of the House for the day.
Even before the proceedings started, the BJP members staged a dharna blocking Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey’s way to the House. Pandey, who entered through another entrance, said the BJP was “trying to hijack the House.” “It is not good. It is against the tradition and you have shattered the dignity (of the House),” Pandey said.
As the House assembled, the Opposition members, including that of the BJP, BSP, Congress and RLD, stormed into the well of the House holding placards and raising slogans against the Akhilesh Yadav government. BSP members remained most vocal raising slogans like “Latakti laashein daal mein, Akhilesh terey raaj mein (Akhilesh, in your regime, bodies hang from trees), Akhilesh terey zamane mein, izzat lutati thane mein (Under your rule, women are raped in police stations)”.
BJP members led by deputy leader Satish Mahana were adamant on a debate on their adjournment notice under Rule 311. “You (BJP) have governments in other states, do they accept Rule 311 notices? It is rejected,” Pandey said. He, however, said that adjournment notices under Rule 56 will be taken up during zero hour.
During the uproar, BJP members tried to reach podium of the Speaker and had a scuffle with security staff several times.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The stalemate continued for 30 minutes with parliamentary affairs minister Azam Khan saying the BJP’s behaviour, both inside and outside the House, was wrong. “If we have to run a strong government, we need to take strong decisions. We have to deal with them sternly, both inside and outside the House,” Khan said while CM Akhilesh Yadav was sitting in the House.
Later, the Speaker adjourned the House till 12:20 pm. However, as the House reassembled, the Opposition members again trooped to the well. Later, during zero hour BSP and Congress members returned to their seats. As Leader of Opposition Swami Prasad Maurya began his speech on the admissibility of BSP’s adjournment notice over law and order in the state, BJP members surrounded his mike and started raising slogans. Maurya alleged that BJP was in the well at Azam Khan’s behest to help the SP government avoid facing questions from the the opposition.
Khan retaliated by saying that soon BSP will merge into the BJP. “BSP has decided not to contest the bypolls to give a clear passage to BJP,” he added. Lodging his protest Maurya and other BSP members staged a walkout. Adjournment notice of Congress could not be taken up while BJP did not press for adjournment notice over power crisis, thus all the notices were rejected. The Speaker adjourned the House for the day. A stormy session is expected Friday when Akhilesh will present the budget for 2014-15.