Thirty-five-year-old Harivansh Singh, the CRPF jawan who was killed in a Naxal attack Sunday at Bijapur in Chhattisgarh, was the only one in his village Atiya in Kannauj who was in government service.
On Tuesday, bodies of Harivansh and another CRPF jawan, Nekpal (34), who was also killed in the same Naxal attack, reached their native places in Kannauj and Jalaun, respectively. Both were posted with the 168th battalion in Chhattisgarh for the last two-and-a-half-years.
The final rites of both were conducted Tuesday in the presence of police and administrative officials of the two districts.
Minister of State for Secondary Education Vijay Bahadur Pal and local Samajwadi Party MLAs Arvind Singh Yadav and Anil Dohrey visited Harivansh’s house to pay homage in the evening.
Harivansh’s cousin Rajveer said, “Harivansh laid his life for the country. We have yet to decide about raising demands before the state government”.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Harivansh is survived by his wife Aneeta Devi and four children — three sons and a daughter. The daughter, who is the eldest, is in Class XIth while the youngest son is in class Vth.
Village head Satyadev said Harivansh was an inspiration for the youngsters of the village. “We were proud of him because he was the only person in the village who had a government job. The villagers here do farming only,” said Satyadev.
Harivansh’s brother Shiva Nand said Harivansh visited the village last month and stayed for a few days. “He used to remain in touch with family and he had last spoken to his wife on Saturday,” he added.
Meanwhile, Nekpal’s body reached his village Tehrai Barahi in Kalpi police station area in Jalaun district. SHO of Kalpi police station, Alok Saxena confirmed that the final rites have been conducted.
Nekpal, who is survived by his wife and four children, was the only earning member of the family. His elder brother died a few years ago.
None from his family could be contacted.
According to CRPF officials, the jawans were killed around 3 pm Sunday at Chirkapalli area in Bijapur when a CRPF patrol team was proceeding for a road-opening and Naxals fired indiscriminately on them. Harivansh and Nekpal died on the spot while a third jawan suffered gunshot injuries. After coming to know of the incident, a heavy contingent rushed to the spot and brought the bodies back to Bijapur.