The state government has decided to revive the Varuna corridor river project in Varanasi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s constituency. Under the project, a riverfront will be developed along the Varuna river on the lines of Sabarmati riverfront project of Gujarat.
The corridor will stretch from Aadkeshav ghat near Sangam to Phulwariya area.
Following a revision, the state government will send the plan proposal to the Centre for holding discussion on the project’s implementation and funding.
An official informed that under the project, landscape will be developed which would include walking tracks with space for amusement activities, public utilities and stalls for eateries. In the river belt, activities like movement of motor boats and small-size ships would also begin.
To make these facilities available, a water level of 2-metre depth would be maintained in 45-metre width and 18-km length of the river. Water level will be maintained by dredging and installing regulators and lock channels at different locations. Five terminals have been proposed to come up in the stretch with the entire area to be kept clean by keeping a check on discharge of untreated waste.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
According to officials, the project was first planned around a decade ago and Varanasi Development Authority (VDA) had forwarded the proposal to the state government. Sources say that Inland Waterways Authority of India of the central government had found it feasible but the state government put the Rs 172-crore project on the back burner.
For the revival, a detailed presentation was made last week before Varanasi district magistrate Pranjal Yadav, who is also officiating VDA vice-chairman at present.
When contacted, Yadav said, “The project was first prepared around 8-9 years ago. Varuna corridor will be developed like Sabarmati riverfront project.” The DM also said that VDA has been directed to revise the project keeping in mind the present condition of the river belt and the structures existing around it. He confirmed that the revised plan will soon be forwarded to the state government.
VDA officials said that Varuna corridor will be an additional attraction for the tourists who stay in hotels and lodges along the Ganga river. Officials added that corridor will be developed in a way that tourists could easily reach the Varuna corridor by motor boats. The project cost is slated to be increased in the revised plan, they said.