Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014

Police dodge media, take Sahara chief to Delhi by road

Senior Congres leader Ambar Rizvi on his way back without meeting his “long-time friend Subrata Roy” from Kukrail guesthouse in Lucknow on Monday; Right. Senior Congres leader Ambar Rizvi on his way back without meeting his “long-time friend Subrata Roy” from Kukrail guesthouse in Lucknow on Monday.
Express News Service | Posted: March 4, 2014 2:18 am

The Lucknow Police stealthily whisked away Sahara chief Subrata Roy from a forest department guesthouse at Kukrail picnic spot Monday afternoon for his production before the Supreme Court Tuesday.

The SC had issued a non-bailable warrant against Roy for defying summons.
As the mediapersons waited at the main gate of the guesthouse, where Roy was lodged since Friday night after his arrest, the police slipped out of the rear gate with the Sahara chief and left for Delhi by road.

Earlier, Additional Superintendent of Police (Trans-Gomti) Habibul Hasan reached the picnic spot around 12 pm.  A Scorpio was brought around 1 pm, apparently to fetch Roy.

Around an hour later, Gomti Nagar station house officer Ajit Singh Chauhan reached the picnic spot.

Congress leader Ammar Rizvi, too, had arrived to meet Roy. He went inside around 1.30 pm and left in half-an-hour.

Rizvi said he had come as “his friend is in trouble”. “But I could not get a chance to meet him. I have left my name outside his room,” he said later.

BJP MLA from Deoria Janmejaya Singh and another BJP leader Mahendra Yadav, too, came to see the Sahara chief as he belonged to their “area” (Gorakhpur). The duo were denied entry.

Around 3 pm, ASP Hasan exited from the main gate. Soon, information came that the policemen have left with Roy from the rear gate of the guesthouse even as security remained at the main gate.

A little later, labourers were seen in the garden. Reporters went inside only to find the guesthouse locked.

Lucknow Range DIG Navniet Sekera said Roy was taken to Delhi by road via Kanpur and Agra.  He said they will reach Delhi late night and stay at any guesthouse in Delhi or the National Capital Region.

A police team led by SHO Chauhan is learnt to have accompanied Roy.

While Sekera declined to disclose the location where Roy will be lodged, he said he will be taken to the Supreme Court Tuesday at 10 am.

Roy had Friday surrendered before the Lucknow Police and was arrested in connection with the contempt case arising out of two of his companies failing to refund a staggering Rs 20,000 crore to investors.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 990 other followers