Pilibhit police on Wednesday arrested four persons, including a juvenile, in the rape and murder of an 8-year-old Dalit girl whose body was recovered from a sugarcane field a day after she went missing. While the juvenile is the one who allegedly raped and killed the girl, three others have been held for hiding information and destroying evidence.
Pilibhit Additional SP Ram Suresh Yadav told The Indian Express that the main accused confessed to his crime. The accused has claimed his age as 16 years, but police will verify this by conducting a medical test and checking documents.
Watch What Else Is Making News
The main accused hails from Bareilly, while the other three – Totaram, his son Kamlesh and Rajaram – are residents of Katakbara village in Balkheda police station area. The village is adjacent to Khidkia, where the victim’s body was recovered.
During interrogation, the boy told police that he committed the crime when he had gone to his maternal uncle Rajaram’s house, according to the ASP. Rajaram, one of the co-accused, is a farmer in Katakbara and also a ‘chaukidar’ (village guard).
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“It was on November 3, when the girl was returning from her house to school, that the boy caught her and overpowered her. He dragged her to a nearby cane field and raped and sodomised her before strangulating her to death. He left the body in the field, which belongs to Totaram of Rajaram’s village. Totaram came to his field later in the day and got scared after finding the girl’s body there. When he told Rajaram about what he found, the latter advised him and his son Kamlesh to shift the body to a field in adjacent Khidkia. We have booked Totaram and Kamlesh under IPC Section 201 (destroying evidence), while Rajaram has been booked under Section 120-B (conspiracy),” Yadav told The Indian Express.
Police laid hands on the suspects after some locals at Katakbara said they had seen the girl’s body lying in Totaram’s field. The cops picked up Totaram, who during questioning admitted to shifting the body on Rajaram’s suggestion.
While Rajaram was being questioned, his son Netrapal told police that his cousin from Bareilly had passed lewd comments on the same girl while she was going home that day.
“Netrapal informed us that his cousin had passed objectionable comments on the girl. Netrapal and Rajaram, along with the boy, were working in their field when it happened. Later, Rajaram and his son went home after finishing the work but the boy stayed back. It was when the girl was coming back to school that the boy dragged her into the field where she was raped and killed,” said the ASP.
Netrapal further told police that his cousin left their house that evening in a hurry, claiming his employer had called him immediately. He worked at a brick kiln as a labourer.
The body of the Dalit girl was recovered from the field in Bisalpur, Pilibhit, on Friday last week. The Class III student had gone missing Thursday morning after she was reportedly sent home alone by her teacher for failing to deposit her fees.