While announcing a campaign against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi in Rae Bareli and Amethi,respectively,Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad Naqvi Thursday said he could support the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Jawwad is at present Imam-e-Juma at historical Asafi mosque in Lucknow and also member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB).
Earlier,during the Delhi Assembly elections,AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal had met Barelvi cleric Tauqeer Raza and got his backing.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Kejriwal,during his Lucknow visit in November 2011,had met another Shia cleric,Kalbe Sadiq,the vice-president of AIMPLB,who lent support for the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare. Sadiq is Kalbe Jawwads uncle.
Both Amethi and Rae Bareli have pockets of Shia population,including Jais and Nasirabad,respectively,where Jawwad reportedly has much influence.
We have started touring Amethi and Rae Bareli and our meetings attracted decent crowds. We highlighted the misdeeds of the Congress. We will support non-Congress and non-BJP candidates and AAP is a strong choice, Jawwad said on Thursday.
AAP leader Kumar Vishwas has said he is keen on contesting from Amethi against Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
Jawwad ruled out support to the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on grounds that they hardly have any chance of victory in Amethi and Rae Bareli.
Justifying his stiff opposition to the Congress,Jawwad claimed the party had failed to protect waqf properties of Muslims in Delhi. The Congress-led Sheila Dikshit government in Delhi allowed encroachments on Shah-e-Marda Karabala in Delhi. Most encroachments happened during the Congress regime, he said.
Jawwad has carried out road shows and meetings in Rae Bareli and Amethi to highlight the encroachment of waqf properties in 2012.
Hussaini Tigers,an organisation of Shia Youths of which Jawwad is the patron,has now been asked to spearhead the campaign. On the directions of Maulana Jawwad,we have decided to shortlist 400 Shia youths who will be sent to Amethi and Rae Bareli. Our campaign will cover each mohalla of these two districts, Shameel Shamsi,president,Hussaini Tigers,said.
In the 2012 Assembly elections,Jawwad had announced to oppose the Congress after which Congress leader Digvijaya Singh had rushed to his house in a damage-control exercise.