While announcing a campaign against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi in Rae Bareli and Amethi,respectively,Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad Naqvi Thursday said he could support the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Jawwad is at present Imam-e-Juma at historical Asafi mosque in Lucknow and also member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB).
Earlier,during the Delhi Assembly elections,AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal had met Barelvi cleric Tauqeer Raza and got his backing.
Kejriwal,during his Lucknow visit in November 2011,had met another Shia cleric,Kalbe Sadiq,the vice-president of AIMPLB,who lent support for the anti-corruption movement led by Anna Hazare. Sadiq is Kalbe Jawwads uncle.
Both Amethi and Rae Bareli have pockets of Shia population,including Jais and Nasirabad,respectively,where Jawwad reportedly has much influence.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
We have started touring Amethi and Rae Bareli and our meetings attracted decent crowds. We highlighted the misdeeds of the Congress. We will support non-Congress and non-BJP candidates and AAP is a strong choice, Jawwad said on Thursday.
AAP leader Kumar Vishwas has said he is keen on contesting from Amethi against Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
Justifying his stiff opposition to the Congress,Jawwad claimed the party had failed to protect waqf properties of Muslims in Delhi. The Congress-led Sheila Dikshit government in Delhi allowed encroachments on Shah-e-Marda Karabala in Delhi. Most encroachments happened during the Congress regime, he said.
Jawwad has carried out road shows and meetings in Rae Bareli and Amethi to highlight the encroachment of waqf properties in 2012.
Hussaini Tigers,an organisation of Shia Youths of which Jawwad is the patron,has now been asked to spearhead the campaign. On the directions of Maulana Jawwad,we have decided to shortlist 400 Shia youths who will be sent to Amethi and Rae Bareli. Our campaign will cover each mohalla of these two districts, Shameel Shamsi,president,Hussaini Tigers,said.
In the 2012 Assembly elections,Jawwad had announced to oppose the Congress after which Congress leader Digvijaya Singh had rushed to his house in a damage-control exercise.