In what could be the party’s first test of strength in UP after facing a rout in Lok Sabha elections, Congress is preparing hard to confront the BJP with a “peace march” at Kanth in Moradabad on July 26.
On the directions of the party high command, a special meeting in this regard was called in Delhi on Monday where it was decided that senior party leaders, including former MPs and other leaders led by AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry, would participate in the march against the alleged “communal intentions” of the BJP.
BJP has already announced a protest on the Kanth issue on July 26 where party’s MPs, MLAs and other workers from western UP would seek registration of FIR against Moradabad SSP for allegedly assaulting BJP workers in Kanth on July 4.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
With BJP already having permission for its protest from the district administration for the protest, Congress has been disallowed from holding the march.
The party, however, will go ahead with the march. “The district administration has asked us to shift our programme but we said we have been asked by our party high-command to hold a peace march and that we have no intention for any clash,” said Aslam Khurshid, officiating city Congress president of Moradabad.
State president Nirmal Khatri informed that the party has already started preparations for the “peace march”.
“BJP is trying to disturb the peaceful environment in the state by making it communal and thus we have decided to hold a ‘peace march’ on the same day in Kanth to ensure peace. We would follow Gandhian ideology to counter their communal intentions,” said Khatri.
Congress is gathering its workers and party leaders from Delhi and western UP to participate in this march, which would be led by AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry.