Renowned Urdu poet Munawwar Rana Monday resigned from the post of president of Uttar Pradesh Urdu Academy, accusing its chairman, poet Nawaz Deobandi, of indulging in corruption and flaunting proximity to Azam Khan and thus hindering the Academy’s functioning.
Both Rana and Deobandi were appointed to their respective posts in February by CM Akhilesh Yadav.
“I was never interested in the post, which is too small for my stature, however, Azam urged me thrice to take it up. There is no work of Urdu in the Academy, and Deobandi is engaged in all corrupt activities. He even wanted the task of developing Academy website be given to his son for Rs five lakh,” Rana told The Indian Express.
Rana also claimed that Deobandi flaunted his proximity to Azam during meetings and would pressurise staff. “He even gave a wrong feedback about me to Azam, who is now angry with me. Deobandi just wanted to siphon off money from the Academy,” he said.
Rana said Deobandi never met him even though he was the president of the Academy. He further added his request for providing Rs 25,000 as medical assistance to a poet, Kamal Jaisi,who is on dialysis, was turned down by the Academy on grounds that it was beyond its power.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“When I don’t have the power to help an ailing poet, then there is no use of staying there,” he stated.
Despite several efforts, Deobandi could not be reached for his comment.