With an eye on Muslim votes and to counter Congress’s ‘generosity’ towards Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Samajwadi Party (SP) president Mulayam Singh Yadav will be attending a seminar to be held on AMU campus on February 24.
The seminar is being organised in support of the demand for minority status of AMU. This will be the first visit by the SP leadership after Akhilesh Yadav took over as UP Chief Minister in 2012.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi was invited as chief guest of the 2013 convocation, which she could not attend. She had also laid the foundation stone of Kishanganj centre of AMU on January 30. Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi interacted with AMU students in 2008.
President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the Murshidabad campus of AMU on February 20. The President has attended two programmes of AMU in December last year.
“Netaji (Mulayam) has agreed to attend the seminar as chief guest. Several other Muslim intelligentsia will participate in the event,” an SP leader and organiser of the event, Khalid Masood, said .
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Masood is a former president of AMU’s students union (AMUSU). Several former student leaders of AMU are in SP. The outgoing president of AMUSU Shehzad Alam, joined the SP recently.
Azam Khan, who is also a former office-bearer of AMUSU, is not part of the programme. “Only Mulayam and no other political leader is coming,” Masood said. He said AMU Vice-Chancellor Lt Gen Zameeruddin Shah is also not part of the event.