Hours after he was booked on charges of cow slaughter, a Muslim trader was beaten to death allegedly by a Hindu mob in Pachpedwa police station area of Balrampur district Wednesday evening.
According to the police, residents of Motinagar village claimed to have discovered some pieces of beef in the fields Wednesday morning. Some of them, led by right wing Hindu organisations, complained to the police.
Police lodged an FIR on charges of cow slaughter against Shazir, 45, a resident of neighbouring Bargadwa Saif village, and two other Muslims from Motinagar village.
On coming to know of the FIR against him, Shazir went to a friend’s place in neighbouring Manoharapur village, a Hindu-dominated village about 3 km away.
However, a mob attacked the house where Shazir was staying and caught him as he tried to escape. He was beaten up severely and died on way to a hospital in Pachpedwa town in the night.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Enraged by the incident, a large number of Muslims gathered at Pachpedwa police station and were pacified only after senior police and administration officials arrived.
Bargadwa Saif village head Rehanul Hasan said the protesters forced the policemen to abandon the police station. Police, however, denied this.
Later, police lodged an FIR against Manoharapur pradhan Ramsagar Yadav, his brother Anurag and other unidentified villagers on the complaint of Shazir’s wife Reshma.
Balrampur Superintendent of Police B D Shukla said Shazir’s murder was the result of him being named in the cow slaughter case.
He said the case against Shazir was lodged following a complaint by some villagers who accused him of cow slaughter.
Shukla said the police are trying to nab the accused and some persons are already in custody.
He added they are trying to avert a law and order situation.
Shazir’s cousin Mushtaq said his brother used to sell buffaloes but was not involved in cow slaughtering.
He said Shazir is survived by three daughters and three sons. His body was brought to his village Thursday night after the postmortem examination was conducted in Gonda.