Hours after he was booked on charges of cow slaughter, a Muslim trader was beaten to death allegedly by a Hindu mob in Pachpedwa police station area of Balrampur district Wednesday evening.
According to the police, residents of Motinagar village claimed to have discovered some pieces of beef in the fields Wednesday morning. Some of them, led by right wing Hindu organisations, complained to the police.
Police lodged an FIR on charges of cow slaughter against Shazir, 45, a resident of neighbouring Bargadwa Saif village, and two other Muslims from Motinagar village.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
On coming to know of the FIR against him, Shazir went to a friend’s place in neighbouring Manoharapur village, a Hindu-dominated village about 3 km away.
However, a mob attacked the house where Shazir was staying and caught him as he tried to escape. He was beaten up severely and died on way to a hospital in Pachpedwa town in the night.
Enraged by the incident, a large number of Muslims gathered at Pachpedwa police station and were pacified only after senior police and administration officials arrived.
Bargadwa Saif village head Rehanul Hasan said the protesters forced the policemen to abandon the police station. Police, however, denied this.
Later, police lodged an FIR against Manoharapur pradhan Ramsagar Yadav, his brother Anurag and other unidentified villagers on the complaint of Shazir’s wife Reshma.
Balrampur Superintendent of Police B D Shukla said Shazir’s murder was the result of him being named in the cow slaughter case.
He said the case against Shazir was lodged following a complaint by some villagers who accused him of cow slaughter.
Shukla said the police are trying to nab the accused and some persons are already in custody.
He added they are trying to avert a law and order situation.
Shazir’s cousin Mushtaq said his brother used to sell buffaloes but was not involved in cow slaughtering.
He said Shazir is survived by three daughters and three sons. His body was brought to his village Thursday night after the postmortem examination was conducted in Gonda.