BSP chief Mayawati Thursday lashed out at the SP and the BJP over the “conspiracy” and “drama” being played out in Varanasi by both parties to influence elections in the remaining eastern UP seats.
On Wednesday, BJP PM nominee Narendra Modi was denied to address a rally in Varanasi leading to protests by the saffron party.
“As the important last phase for 18 Lok Sabha seats in eastern UP approaches, which will witness contests of (SP chief) Mulayam Singh Yadav in Azamgarh and Modi in Varanasi, both parties are playing the religion and caste card. The position of these parties is worsening, which is why they are enacting a new drama and conspiracy in Varanasi from Wednesday,” Mayawati said in a press conference at her official residence here.
She also alleged that both SP and BJP have colluded to give a Hindu-Muslim communal colour to the elections and reap political dividends in nearby seats as well as in Varanasi and Azamgarh.
“If there were any security concerns for Narendra Modi, it was the responsibility of the SP government to arrange the necessary security. But the SP government is drunk on power and misusing it through the district administration to benefit BJP,” Mayawati alleged, adding that even the religious programme of Ganga puja in Varanasi hasn’t been spared for political gains.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“SP is trying to give a message to Muslims of eastern UP that only it can deal with BJP. This, however, is not true”, she said.
Mayawati also demanded of the Election Commission of India that “keeping in mind its role of conducting independent and neutral elections, it should not be influenced by any party and ensure stern action against those who are openly flouting the model code of conduct repeatedly and roaming freely”.
“With no action being taken against Narendra Modi, Baba Ramdev Yadav and Amit Shah over flouting the model code of conduct, people of the nation have started doubting (the EC) and hence there is an urgent need to address it in public welfare,” she said.