BSP chief Mayawati Thursday lashed out at the SP and the BJP over the “conspiracy” and “drama” being played out in Varanasi by both parties to influence elections in the remaining eastern UP seats.
On Wednesday, BJP PM nominee Narendra Modi was denied to address a rally in Varanasi leading to protests by the saffron party.
“As the important last phase for 18 Lok Sabha seats in eastern UP approaches, which will witness contests of (SP chief) Mulayam Singh Yadav in Azamgarh and Modi in Varanasi, both parties are playing the religion and caste card. The position of these parties is worsening, which is why they are enacting a new drama and conspiracy in Varanasi from Wednesday,” Mayawati said in a press conference at her official residence here.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
She also alleged that both SP and BJP have colluded to give a Hindu-Muslim communal colour to the elections and reap political dividends in nearby seats as well as in Varanasi and Azamgarh.
“If there were any security concerns for Narendra Modi, it was the responsibility of the SP government to arrange the necessary security. But the SP government is drunk on power and misusing it through the district administration to benefit BJP,” Mayawati alleged, adding that even the religious programme of Ganga puja in Varanasi hasn’t been spared for political gains.
“SP is trying to give a message to Muslims of eastern UP that only it can deal with BJP. This, however, is not true”, she said.
Mayawati also demanded of the Election Commission of India that “keeping in mind its role of conducting independent and neutral elections, it should not be influenced by any party and ensure stern action against those who are openly flouting the model code of conduct repeatedly and roaming freely”.
“With no action being taken against Narendra Modi, Baba Ramdev Yadav and Amit Shah over flouting the model code of conduct, people of the nation have started doubting (the EC) and hence there is an urgent need to address it in public welfare,” she said.