BSP chief Mayawati on Monday slammed the BJP and its PM candidate Narendra Modi soon after they tried to reach out to the Dalit vote on the occasion of B R Ambedkar’s birth anniversary today. She said when polls come, they see Dalits as Hindus but later they do not even like to sit with them.
Talking to reporters outside her residence here, she called Modi a “kamaal ka aadmi” (strange man) “who does not understand the country’s history” and “tells lies wherever he goes”.
The former UP chief minister contradicted Modi’s claim that the BJP was instrumental in getting Bharat Ratna conferred on Ambedkar, and said the award was accorded to Ambedkar in 1990 when VP Singh was Prime Minister.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
She said as BJP was not happy with the implementation of Mandal Commission and had withdrawn support from the VP Singh government on the excuse of stopping of the LK Advani’s rath yatra.
She said Dalits and backwards will not be “misled” by the BJP, as they want that the girl from their caste becomes the country’s PM and added that she had doubts about Modi being a backward as he has never revealed the caste he belongs to.
Stating that Modi will take the country backwards if he became PM, Mayawati said he tells lies about Bihar when he goes there, gives wrong information about Punjab when he is there, and now he is telling lies about Babasaheb Ambedkar.
She also raised Modi’s marriage, saying he had all this while been claiming that he is unmarried but now says he has a wife.
Mayawat’s no-holds-barred attack on Modi came after the latter slammed the Congress for ignoring Ambedkar. He said Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi was “insulting the chief architect of the Constitution and the god of Dalits by taking credit for giving rights and enacting laws in the country”.