Man-eater takes a bullet hit,game not over yet

A team of Uttar Pradesh forest department officials on Saturday claimed it had shot at and injured the tiger that was declared man-eater after killing five persons.

Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published: February 8, 2009 2:57 am

A team of Uttar Pradesh forest department officials on Saturday claimed it had shot at and injured the tiger that was declared man-eater after killing five persons. The team,which has been trailing the tiger for the past few days,said its members fired at the tiger when he was about to attack them.

Interestingly,both Nawab Shafaat Ali Khan Bahadur,who had come to Faizabad to help in the operation,and deputy director of the Dudhwa National Park P P Singh claimed to have shot the tiger,which they said managed to vanish into the jungle after being injured.

The incident took place near the Kamcha Bhawani Mandir located in the Rudauli range on Saturday noon. A hunt has been launched to trace the injured tiger that had left the district administration and the forest department jittery for the past two months. “The bloodstains of tiger traced from the site indicated that it is seriously injured. We could not trace it today because of poor light,” said Singh,adding that World Wildlife Team was present when tiger was shot at. “We were forced to fire by .375 magnum gun instead of using tranquiliser gun because the tiger was about to attack us,” said Singh.

The tiger had strayed out of Pilibhit forests in November last year. It travelled over 400 km to the outskirts of Lucknow and then said to have gone to Faizabad via Barabanki. Around 100 wildlife experts,who have come to Faizabad from different wildlife centres and institutes,have been deployed in the villages bordering the jungle to educate the locals about the precautions they should take while tiger was out on the prowl.

For all the latest Lucknow News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results