Suspecting his wife of “chatting with another man” over phone and on a social networking website, a 30-year-old man threw her in River Ganga in Kanpur leading to her death by drowning, police said Sunday. The incident took place Saturday.
Ravi Chaurasia, who works at a private firm in district, was caught by the public soon after he picked up and threw 25-year-old Rubi Sonkar, his second wife, into the river, police said.
They said, Ravi suspected that Ruby, whom he married three years ago against the wishes of his family, had entered into a relationship with another man. They have had arguments over the issue several times in the past.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
On Saturday, the duo went to Ganga barrage where they had another heated argument. Ravi first threw her cellphone in the Ganga and few moments later he picked up Ruby and threw her also in the river.
Some locals saw the drama and caught Ravi and thrashed him before handing him over to police. Divers fished out the body after a 30-minute search.
The police registered an FIR against Ravi on murder charges on a complaint filed by Ruby’s mother Shanti Kal.
Circle Officer, Colonelganj, Pramod Kumar Chawla said, “During questioning Ravi told us that he married Ruby three years ago. At that time he was already married. After coming to know about his marriage with Ruby at a temple, his first wife left his home along with their child”.
Even after marriage, Ravi’s family did not allow Ruby to stay with them. As a result, she was staying with her parents in Bajaria area.
Ravi, a resident of Rama Devi locality, used to visit her house regularly.
On Saturday, Ruby left her house on the pretext of going to purchase “dal” (pulses). She met Ravi near her house and from where they went to Ganga Barrage on a motorcycle, police said.
Station Officer, Kohana police station, Poonam Awasthi said, “Ravi claimed that for the last few months, he used to find Ruby’s cellphone busy most of the time. He said he also found Ruby busy chatting with someone on a social networking site. When he objected When he objected, she threatened to leave him and arguments took place between them”.
Ruby had completed her BEd and was looking for a job.
The police said, Ravi told them he also wanted to jump in Ganga but was caught by public.