A businessman on Sunday morning allegedly murdered his 25-year-old son before killing himself at his residence in Chowk area of Lucknow’s Old City.
Police said 50-year-old Manoj Rastogi, who used to lend money in lieu of interest, was at his home with his son Rohit when the incident took place, His wife Ritu had gone for a morning walk around 6.30 am.
Rastogi’s nephew Ankit said when Ritu returned home around 8 am, she found the house locked from inside. Despite her knocking several times, no one opened the door. She then asked Ankit for help.
Following this, Ankit forced the door open. Inside, while Rohit was found lying on his bed, Rastogi was on the floor. Both were dead.
- 25-yr-old man kills grandmother, shoots self in Ludhiana
- Muslim family gives up Meerut home after protests by residents
- Noida double murder: Two days on, police yet to trace juvenile suspect
- Greater Noida: Couple booked after 19-year-old help is found hanging at their home
- Colleague arrested for killing of BPO manager in Bangalore apartment
- Businessman shot dead by snatchers
A revolver was found lying near Rastogi. A police spokesperson said Rastogi had a license for the gun.
According to the relatives, Rastogi had been under depression for some time now, especially after Rohit underwent a kidney transplant around two months ago.
“We have not found any suicide note. Primary investigation shows Rastogi killed himself after shooting his son dead. Rastogi had been taking tranquilisers for some time for depression,” Chowk Station House Officer Mahant Yadav said.
“While Rohit suffered a gunshot on his abdomen, Rastogi was shot on his head… We are yet to receive the postmortem report,” he added.