Six persons were killed and 19 injured, four of them critically, when a fire broke out following leakage in a gas cylinder in Chamanganj area here, police said on Saturday.
The incident took place on Friday when Anil, a resident of Chamanganj, allegedly kept a leaking gas cylinder inside a water tank at a public toilet here, a police spokesman said.
As the water tank was empty, the leakage continued and spread. Meanwhile, someone entered the toilet and lit a cigarette which triggered the blaze, he said. Anil had brought the cylinder for use in his house. But when he opened its cap, gas started leaking and so he kept it in the nearby toilet.
Two fire tenders took two hours to control the fire. Police rushed to the spot and admitted the injured to hospital where six of them, including two women, succumbed to their injuries. The deceased have been identified as Vijay (24), Anurag (12), Sita Devi (40), Hasina (48), Anil (24) and Sunil (29), SHO Juber Ahmed said and added at least four of the injured were in a critical condition.
District Magistrate Roshan Jacob has visited the spot and ordered an inquiry into the incident. He has also announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 for the deceased and Rs 20,000 for the seriously injured.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest