A local court in Kanpur on Monday sentenced suspended Deputy Superintendent of Police Amarjeet Singh Shahi to 10 years of imprisonment in the case of a minor Dalit girl’s rape. A native of Punjab, Shahi was in the Army before he joined the UP Police force.
Prosecuting Officer, Kanpur, Chander Lal Sonkar said the court had also imposed a fine of Rs 65,000 on Shahi and directed that Rs 50,000 from it should be given to the victim. He added that Shahi was also sentenced in other sections of the IPC which include abduction and molestation and all these sentences will run simultaneously.
Shahi was last posted in Pratapgarh district and was put under suspension after allegations of abduction and rape of the girl surfaced against him.
The prosecution produced nine witnesses while defence examined 10 witnesses.
On Thursday, the court declared him guilty after which Shahi, who was out on bail, was taken into custody.
The victim’s lawyer Ajit Shukla said punishment of 10 years is too less and therefore they would appeal against the judgment in the high court.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
According to prosecution, the case dates back to 2010 when the 15-year-old girl took part in an air show organised during Republic Day function in Kanpur. Shahi, who was then posted in Kanpur, appreciated the girl. Later, he developed closeness with girl’s family and started visiting them regularly.
The prosecution added that in November, 2010 when the girl was alone at home, Shahi visited their place and asked her to bring tea and biscuits. He then asked for water. When she went inside, Shahi mixed a powder in the girl’s tea, following which she fell unconscious. He then raped her and recorded an MMS of the act, advocate Shukla said.
The next day, Shahi visited the victim’s home again and threatened her to show the MMS to others if she did not follow his diktat. Since then he visited her house several times and raped her.
Shukla also said that in January 2012, Shahi, then posted in Pratapgarh. called up the girl, asking her to meet him near Ramadev crossing in Kanpur. When the girl, then in Class XII, reached the place, he pulled her inside his vehicle and took her to Pratapgarh. When she did not return home, her father searched for her and reached Pratapgarh. Shahi, however, did not allow him to take her back. On January 22, Shahi allowed him to take his daughter home.
In March, 2012, Shahi again visited the girl’s house, leading to quarrel. Irked over the occurrence, the girl consumed some poisonous substance and was admitted at district hospital.
On March 13, the girl filed a complaint against her father and his two associates on charges of raping her. However, the victim denied having made the allegations against her father when her statement was recorded before the court.
Later, on March 15, 2012, her father got an FIR lodged alleging Shahi for abduction and molestation of his daughter. The police included rape charge on the basis of the girl’s statement before the magistrate.
Following police pressure, Shahi later surrendered before the court which sent him to judicial custody. He remained inside the jail for around over one year till he was granted bail.