Kanpur-based businessman Piyush Shyam Dashani and his girlfriend’s driver were arrested on Wednesday for allegedly killing his wife Jyoti, whose body, punctured by stab injuries, was recovered from a car on Monday night. Police said Piyush allegedly planned the murder so that he could marry his girlfriend, who is daughter of a paan masala manufacturer and lives in his neighbourhood.
Piyush’s girlfriend, Manisha Makhija (27), has also been arrested for her role in the murder conspiracy.
Besides driver Awadhesh, his associate Renu Kannaujia was arrrested late in the evening. Two more accused, Sonu and Ashish, have been nabbed. The knife used in the crime is yet to be recovered. Cops have collected the CCTV footage showing the killers purchasing the weapon from a shop before the murder. Kanpur Range DIG RK Chaturvedi said: “Piyush has confessed to the crime and there are evidences against him corroborating his role.”
Kanpur Zone IG Ashutosh Pandey said Piyush had given Rs 50,000 to Awadhesh as advance and had assured him more after the murder. The accused were engaged in planning the murder since July 5. The IG added that primary investigation had found that Piyush had extramarital affairs and call details of his cellphone had showed he was in regular touch with several girls. “He had also spoken to Awadhesh and his girlfriend before leaving for the restaurant with his wife. Taking his wife for the dinner was part of the plan,” the officer added. He further said Ashish, an associate of Avadesh, had followed Piyush’s car on a bike after the couple left the restaurant.
During investigation, the police went through CCTV footages of the restaurant to see Piyush was behaving abnormally while sitting with his wife and had walked out of the restaurant for 20 minutes. He is seen continuously talking over his cellphone.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Besides other circumstantial evidences, Piyush emerged as a suspect as he reached police control room after an hour of the incident.
During his confession, Piyush told police that they were planning the murder since July 5 and had asked Awadhesh to arrange killers to execute the crime. He had assured them a hefty sum for the killing. They had earlier planned to strangulate and throw Jyoti’s body in river Ganga on July 20, but killers could not reach the spot following heavy rains, police said.
The accused further told the police that on July 27, he stopped the car near Company Bagh crossing while returning home with his wife. Awadhesh, Sonu and Renu were waiting for him on the roadside, while Ashish followed the car on the motorcycle. As soon as the car stopped, Piyush got down while Awadhesh took the driving seat. His associates moved into the back seat. Before Jyoti could gauge their intention, the duo covered her mouth and dragged her to the backseat. In the moving car, Renu Kannaujia stabbed her several times, killing her. They then left the car at Panki and fled.
Piyush went to the police station after an hour and fabricated the story of Jyoti being kidnapped by some bike-borne miscreants.
Police later found the car by tracking Jyoti’s cellphone and found her in a pool of blood. She was declared dead at the hospital.
Piyush’s family owns a biscuit manufacturing unit and lives at Pandu Nagar colony in Kanpur.