Tension prevailed in Muftiganj locality of Jaunpur district Sunday evening following rumors that a youngster, who was detained earlier in the day for questioning after he made an allegedly objectionable Facebook post against another community, had been let off by police, officials said Monday.
A mob had gathered at the grocery shop belonging to the family of the accused, identified as Jain-ul-Abidin Ansari, and had begun throwing off the articles kept there, when the police reached there. They used mild force to disperse the crowd. PAC has been deployed in the area to maintain calm, police said adding Ansari has been arrested.
- Batman Day: 15 things you might not know about the Caped Crusader and his universe
- Reliance Jio to deliver 6 million JioPhones in 15 days starting tomorrow
- Globalisation is here to stay, we proved sceptics wrong: Manmohan Singh
- Meet Frida the Labrador who has been saving lives in disasters across the world
- North Korea 'more opaque' after YouTube propaganda ban: monitors
- England vs West Indies 3rd ODI Live Online Streaming: When is England vs West Indies 3rd ODI, where is ENG vs WI ODI, live TV coverage
As per the police, members of a community had approached Muftiganj police post under Kerakat police station area accusing a youth of posting an objectionable comment on his Facebook page on Sunday, following which 22-year-old Ansari was detained for questioning.
“Some anti-social elements spread the rumour that Ansari had been let off. This led to a mob, mostly of youngsters, gathering at the shop of his family and attacking it. Additional police force was rushed in, besides a company of PAC. The mob was dispersed with the use of mild force. The accused has been arrested and sent to jail. The situation is under control now. However, the police force has been deployed in the area to prevent any further disturbance,” said SP (City), Ramji Singh Yadav.
As per the police, Ansari, a commerce graduate who is pursuing a computer course from the TD College in Jaunpur, had put up the post a couple of days ago.
Police sources added that the matter was taken seriously as a mosque was located in Muftiganj bazaar and the situation could have turned worse. Circle Officer (Kerakat) Raj Kumar Pandey said that he was patrolling the area, along with other police officials.